Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ballarat, Cranbourne, Research, Research, and More Research








On Monday we went to Ballarat for an alcohol forum at the bowling center. There were 7 kids there and it was freezing it was raining, hailing, the wind was so cold I almost froze to death. We caught lunch at McDonalds which they call Mackers and I was so excited to have a fountain drink my first one here. Then we went to a coffee shop and I had some hot chocolate. Its about a two hour drive and it is darling, because the town was built during the gold rush so they have really pretty old buildings. I really want to go back and explore there and go to Sovereign Hill. Oh and on the way there I saw my first kangaroo. The only unfortunate part is that it was road kill and it looked pretty stiff. The countryside was pretty and we passed some vineyards. We even went and had KFC for dinner. We even met with the electorate council in ballarat and Mary spoke to them about what she does and anwered their questions. They are quite concerned about how seniors will have to purchase 5 bus tickets now instead of 1. Then they asked a lot about teenagers and drinking. They are concerned about outsourcing, and crime and punishment. One guy said that when he got caught drunk driving, he was beaten by the police then once guy piped up and said yeah but that was in south Africa. It was really funny. And he said no it happened here. Everyone there was over 65 and there were probably about 10 people there. It was in a hotel but it was connected to a bar so there were drunk people we could hear singing and sometimes it was hard to hear Mary. The guys kept waving to me and stuff so I didn’t want to go get a cola outside cause I thought they might talk to me. I was kind of embarrassed. The people were really friendly and asked me about the US and the upcoming election and what I thought about Sara Pallin as VP. There was a lady there with a cute country old lady shirt on with a funny collar and stuff on it and then she had like flamingo lipstick on. It was cute but funny. We were no longer in the city, but I really did like that town. Except that it was freezing.
On Tuesday I watched question time on tv, researched, read, went to Cranbourne with Mary and they were discussing the methane and garbage dump problems and how its going into houses. Everyone refers to them as bogans (White Trailor Park Trash). Everyone was really upset which I understand but they were like yelling and saying their opinions and telling some of the councilman to sit down, because they didn’t like what they were saying, there was swearing, one guy was yelling as he walked out and talking about rotting animals and hes a garbo man (garbage) and he had a Collingwood AFL sweatshirt on. It was very entertaining. Oh and at lunch we went to a book store at Donvale Shopping Center and I got a book called the Bronze horseman. Hopefully it will be a good one. Oh and I finished the book Twilight. Oh and on the way back I explained to Mary what a temple was and how it differs from a chapel and what we do there. I hope she understood what I was trying to say. I have never had to explain my beliefs before, because I’ve always been in Utah, its hard and a lot of the time, I am afraid they will ask me something I don’t know the answer to.
Wednesday, I researched assisted reproductive technology for the upcoming bill dealing with homosexuals and ART and I also looked at womens affairs stuff for the upcoming policy. I looked at past media releases. By the way, no one seems to really like my rootbeer barrels. Christabelle says they taste like medicine and Linda said it was okay, but Luke really likes them and Mary didn’t want to try any. They are completely crazy. They are the bomb. Oh and I found out who Buddy Franklin is. Hes a really hot AFL player for Hawthorne. He is really good at it, beautiful aborigine with blue eyes, and he just bought a house in Donvale so maybe I will see him around. Wink wink

No comments: