Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween Weekend

For Halloween, there wasn't that much going on. There was a trunk or treat at the church, but Australians call it boot or treat. I forgot about it, so I went into the city and got my hat for the races, and also went on a ghost tour of the old Melbourne Gaol. We had a guide dressed up in period costume and the only light we had was one candle. Then he would take us to the see the different cells and tell us different stories about the convicts. Then we saw the gallows, and where they would whip the prisoners with the cat of nine tails. It was pretty fun for a Halloween night. The next day I got up and was able to go to the city. I went to see the Old Treasury Building. I even got to go downstairs to see the gold vaults. During the gold rush in the late 1800s, this is where much of the gold was stored. Then I walked through the Fitzroy and Treasury Gardens. In Fitzroy Gardens there is Cooks Cottage which is from the 1700s and it was brought over here from England. Then I caught the tram and went to the aquarium. There were absolutely beautiful and really interesting looking fish. I loved the jelly fish and the sharks, eels, and stingrays. It was really fun, and then I caught another tram to St. Kilda which used to be quite a ritzy area. Its on Phillip Bay. I walked down the boardwalk, and I sat and watched the kiteboarders. I think there were about 30 of them and there was about every color you could imagine. It was beautiful. There were also some beach volleyball games going on and some windsurfers. It was quite chilly that day and the wind was blowing but there were 5 crazy teenagers in the water. Then I went by Luna Park which is a really old amusement park and it has a face as the gate. It is pretty cool looking. I also took a trolley around city circle, which was pretty neat because it goes passed alot of the tourist destinations and its nice to see the city and rest your feet at the same time. Then I stopped by crown casino because it is huge and I have always wanted to walk through it. I looked around and then got some gelatto and walked across the bridge. I caught a bus home but it ended up dropping me off somewhere in the suburbs that I didn't really know, so I asked the bus driver which was it was to the Doncaster Shopping Center. I walked for a while, then got other directions, and eventually made it there and then caught a bus to my house. Don't worry though, it wasn't dark. I had so many great pictures to put up for this post, but unfortunately I somehow deleted all the photos on my camera. This really sucks considering I had all my pictures on it of Australia and DC, luckily though I have some saved on my computer, facebook, and my blog. So sorry, no photos for today.

No comments: